“Everybody wants to win. But the fans know one team is going to win and one team’s going to lose even before they get to the ballpark. But to come with the spirit of having fun... of laughing, of joking, of making trickery, of booing an umpire, or cheering a star, all the emotions are there. And whoever designed the phrase ‘the agony of defeat’ and ‘the ecstasy of victory’ certainly covered it all. But, it’s a game. Enjoy it.” - Harry Caray, 4th Inning

Monday, May 08, 2006

Breaking News...

I can't and won't talk about this weekend. Until I turn into a babbling old man, I can't bring myself to say the same things over and over again. I said 'em once, and I don't need to repeat myself.

So, here's something: The Cubs recalled 2B Ryan Theriot from AAA Iowa. Theriot was one of the last guys cut from the club in Mesa, and given the lack of hype surrounding him, he'll likely be a mainstay in the Cubs lineup for years to come.

I'm semi-joking, but if there's a curse out there worse than being on the cover of Sports Illustrated, it has to be the curse of Cubs Hype. Just ask Kevin Orie, Pat Cline, Hee Seop Choi, and so on. In fact, please send me your favorite failed, over-hyped Cubs prospects from the past. We'll do a week-long retrospective. Maybe we can even have Jayson Stark's readers figure out how they're astrologically aligned by their birthdates and draft positions.... or not. (And, see Carlos Zambrano, Dontrelle Willis, Ronny Cedeno, Sean Marshall for the corollary. Don't kill me for putting these guys in the hall of fame already, but thus far: no hype = big league results).

Anyway, Ryan "The Riot" Theriot will likely sit on the bench while Neifi, Hairston and Walker continue the merry-go-round of misery. I have no idea who they sent down, but it was probably Michael "The Answer" Restovich; I'm sure he really enjoyed his stay on the pine. Speaking of minor leaguers, thanks to an email from Cubs.com, I saw that West Tenn. AA farmhand 1B Micah Hoffpauir is having a heck of a start to the season leading the Diamond Jaxx with seven homers and 22 RBIs in his first 28 games. I guess I can understand the hesitation in calling him up since Baker requires all his regulars to be AARP eligible. Recalling him would make too much sense.

And finally, (we've gotten the grisly stuff out of the way, here's some fluff to end the post on a high note), Kerry Wood returned to the mound with an actual baseball in hand. Yup, looks like he left the towel in the clubhouse and mowed down those Class A hitters with authority. He hit '97' on the radar gun, and fanned 12 with no walks. THAT is a great sign, in all seriousness. I realize there is a better than incredible chance that these hitters were swinging at everything, and Wood couldn't have walked anyone if he tried, but that is legitimately encouraging.

As for Prior, I believe he was sighted at a motel in Omaha with Elvis Presley.

-Fletch

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud about Kerry Wood with the towel. keep it up fletch.

-T

6:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home